15 Oct Recipe: Meaty Butternut Squash Chorizo Lasagna
If you went to the Savour – Fall Food Festival’s culinary showcase this past weekend you might remember this meaty butternut squash chorizo lasagna. It was such a hit at the culinary showcase and among the food tour, that we’re giving it out the recipe to everyone!
The best part of this lasagna is that you can get all the ingredients from vendors here at the Market. Start your shopping with Lonsdale Green Grocer where you’ll find fresh herbs and the butternut squash. The cheese and pasta sauce you can buy from Bowen Island Pizza Company, and you can pick up both the ground beef and chorizo sausage from Sharky’s Chophouse.
Recipe courtesy of Sharky’s Chophouse.
2 butternut squash – peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (plus extra to sprinkle)
salt and pepper to taste (plus two teaspoons salt)
1/2 pound ground beef (8 oz)
1 pound chorizo sausage (16 oz)
2 garlic cloves
28 oz jar of pasta sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 eggs beaten
2 tablespoons parsley
1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus extra to sprinkle on top)
3 boxes ready baked lasagna noodles
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Arrange butternut squash slices in a single layer on each baking sheet. Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil all over each layer, season with 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
4. Bake in a preheated oven until squash is soft but still firm to the bite (about 15 minutes).
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir beef, garlic and chorizo sausage until golden brown (about ten minutes).
6. Drain grease and mix in remaining Italian seasoning, pasta sauce, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt.
7. Simmer, stirring occasionally until flavours combine (about ten minutes).
8. Mix in a bowl, 1 teaspoon salt, ricotta cheese, beaten eggs, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and parsley in a bowl.
9. Cover 9 x 13 inch baking dish with lasagna noodles, cover noodles with a layer of sauce about a quarter inch high.
10. Layer with squash slices, layer with lasagna noodles, then layer with half of the ricotta mixture and 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese, add another layer of squash slices, repeat layers and ending with squash slices and sauce mixture.
11. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
12. Bake in preheated oven until cheeses are melted and seem bubbly (about 30 minutes). Let stand ten minutes before serving.
If you missed out on Savour – Fall Food Festival this year, don’t worry the Market has events throughout the year where you can interact with our wonderful vendors. Stay tuned for a Wine and Cheese seminar this holiday season!