03 Mar Irish Soda Bread
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3 tbsp wheat bran
3 tbsp wheat germ
2 tbsp old fashioned oats of fine oatmeal
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
2 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add butter and rub in with you fingertiips until the mixture resembles fine meal.
4. Make a well in the centre and stir in enough buttermilk to form a soft dough
5. Turn out onto a floured board and pat lightly into a round. Flatten slightly to about 5cm / 2″ thick and place on a baking sheet.
6. Mark a deep cross 1cm / 1/2″ deep and bake until bread is cooked and sounds holld when tapped, about 40 minutes.